Current Program Priorities (2018-21)
We also have a working group!
As a commission of The Canadian Council of Churches, the CJP periodically convenes working groups to engage timely and important matters related to social justice and peace. We currently have one working group addressing sexual exploitation in Canada.
Recent Highlights and Resources
of the Commission on Justice and Peace
Challenging the Safe Third Country Agreement (STCA)
Since 2017, the Council has partnered with Amnesty International Canada and the Canadian Council for Refugee to launch and sustain a legal appeal of the Canadian Federal Government’s Safe Third Country Agreement (STCA) with the US. Developments are ongoing; find up-to-date information here.
Featured above: CCC General Secretary Peter Noteboom speaks at a rally in support of a court challenge of the STCA in November 2019.
A reflection for communities of faith seeking to respond faithfully to poverty in Canada. Find the full resource here.
Principles of Peace
A comprehensive synthesis of what members of the Council have learned in 75 years of working together about God’s vision for peace and right relationship between God, humanity, and all of creation. Find the full resource here.
Purpose of the Commission on Justice and Peace
- Anglican Church of Canada: Ryan Weston
- Archdiocese of Canada of the Orthodox Church in America: Emanuel Kolyvas & Rev. Ryan Bishop
- Armenian Holy Apostolic Church, Canadian Diocese: Levon Petrosyan
- Canadian Baptists of Western Canada: Jodi Spargur
- Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops: Patrick Fletcher, Donna Geernaert, & Irving Papineau
- Canadian Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers): Carol Dixon
- Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Canada: Rachel Pellet
- Christian Reformed Church in North America – Canada: Mike Hogeterp
- The Coptic Orthodox Church of Canada: Fr. Kyrillos Fakhouri
- Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church of Canada: Alemayehu Zenebe
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada: Paul Gehrs
- Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Toronto (Canada): Peter Avgeropoulos
- The Mar Thoma Syrian Church: Varghese K. Abraham, Mr Alexander P Alexander & Dr. Anil M Varghese
- Mennonite Church Canada: Derek Cook
- The Presbyterian Church in Canada: Allyson Carr
- The Salvation Army: Estee Lau & Jim Champ
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada: Walter Makarenko
- The United Church of Canada: Beth Baskin & Vicki Obedkoff
- Citizens for Public Justice: Brad Wassink & Willard Metzger
- The Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada: Joanne Beach
- Canadian Bible Society: Rupen Das
- KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives: Shannon Neufeldt, Ed Bianchi, Jennifer Henry
CCC Staff & Executive
- CCC President (ex officio): Stephen Kendall
- CCC General Secretary (ex officio): Peter Noteboom
- CCC Vice President: Kathy Vandergrift
- CCC staff (Associate Secretary): Jonathan Schmidt
- CCC Staff (Sexual Exploitation Working Group): Michelle Miller
- CCC – Project Ploughshares: Cesar Jaramillo & Kelsey Gallagher