The Canadian Council of Churches is seeking an individual to fill the role of General Secretary on a full-time basis (35 hrs/week) for a 5-year renewable term.
The General Secretary is the senior executive officer of the Council responsible to the Governing Board through the Executive Committee for the articulation and implementation of the vision, direction and priorities of the Council, including its operating division Project Ploughshares, commissions and reference groups.
The General Secretary will facilitate the work of the Council as a forum of the member denominations and offer theologically informed and flexible leadership. They are responsible for strengthening relationships among the member denominations and with other Christian churches and religious bodies in Canada.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduate level of theological education, or equivalent, and knowledge of church systems (polity) in Canada;
- Leadership experience in the ecumenical landscape;
- Understanding of and commitment to The Canadian Council of Churches as a Forum of churches and to the goals of ecumenism;
- An ability to encourage and articulate vision, and give leadership in the Council in the context of accountability to the Governing Board through the Executive;
- A member in good standing of a Canadian Council of Churches member denomination;
- Sensitivity to Canadian cultural issues and concerns;
- Well-developed analytical, negotiation, consultative and listening skills;
- Demonstrated communication skills (oral and written) and experience with public and social media;
- Ability to lead, develop and coordinate dispersed staff team, students and volunteers;
- Commitment to proficiency in both official languages;
- Availability to travel as necessary.
Salary will be based on skills and experience, within the annual salary range of $86,000 – $93,000 ($7,166.67 – $7,750.00 per month).
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume, quoting the job number to:
Chair, Personnel Committee, The Canadian Council of Churches
Deadline to apply is March 15, 2018.