The Canadian Council of Churches Governing Board Meeting took place on November 16-18, 2022 at the Queen of Apostles Renewal Centre (Mississauga, ON).
At this semi-annual meeting of the Council’s Governing Board, we:
- SHARED current news and challenges and supported one another in prayer and song.
- MARKED the recent loss of Richard Schneider, Former President (2003-06) and long-time Chair and member of the
Commission on Faith and Witness, who left an indelible mark on the Council.
- RECEIVED governance and program reports from all bodies of the Council; ASSESSED risks to the Council and NAMED
ways to manage and mitigate them.
- WELCOMED KAIROS, the North America Baptist Fellowship (NABF), and Church Council on Justice and Corrections
(CCJC) as new Affiliates; and RECEIVED the application of prospective affiliate from the Order of St. Lazarus.
- ADOPTED a Bilingualism Policy to reaffirm guidelines for the Council’s commitment to French and English.
- ADOPTED the 2023 Budget for the Main Office and Project Ploughshares.
- OFFERED LAMENTATION to God for the loss of a National Multilateral Forum for Christian-Jewish Dialogue using the
psalmitic themes of Brokenness, Cry, Complaint, and Hope.
- ANIMATED the 2023 Week of Prayer for Christian Unity theme of “Do good, seek justice” (Isaiah 1:17) through
powerful testimonies from Minnesota Council of Churches representatives the Rev. Dr. Kelly Sherman-Conroy
and Pastor Dr. Anthony Appiah, and a special prayer service with deep, personal sharing.
- COLLECTED QUESTIONS about a theology of interculturality led by the Forum for Intercultural Leadership and Learning
- WERE LED IN PRAYER AND SONG by leaders in the Catholic, United, and Pentecostal traditions.
- WERE ENGAGED in reflection and action on spiritual care in Canada, especially in the military and prisons, by a
presentation by Imam Michael Taylor, Chair of the Interfaith Committee on Canadian Military Chaplaincy.
- GAINED INSIGHT into Christianity and religious affiliation and observance in Canada today from a presentation by
Halo Canada and WayBase on the 2021 Census data.
- LEARNED from the Rt. Rev. Dr. Isaac Mar Philoxenos Episcopa about the history, life, and scope of the Mar Thoma
Church in Canada; and from the delegation of the United Church Canada about its history and future.
- APPOINTED Rev. Fr. Anthony Mourad (Coptic Orthodox Church of Canada) as Vice-President
- APPOINTED Sara Solomon (Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo) and Boston Laferté (Evangelical Lutheran) as Youth
members of the Governing Board.
- BEGAN PLANNING for the 2024-27 triennium by appointing a Nominations Committee.
The next meeting of the Governing Board is scheduled to take place May 24-26, 2023 at Le Monastère des Augustines, Quebec City.