Members and Associate Members of the Council affirm our basis and purpose.
- The basis of the Council: The Canadian Council of Churches is a community of churches which confess the Lord Jesus Christ as God and Saviour according to the Scriptures and therefore seek to fulfil together their common calling to the glory of one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and also other churches which affirm the same faith but which do not make doctrinal confessions.
- The purpose the Council is to serve God’s mission in the world, to give expression to the unity which is offered to the world through Jesus Christ, to witness to the continuing renewal of the Church by the Holy Spirit, to promote the growth of ecumenical and missionary obedience among all Christians, and to facilitate common action by the member churches.
Members of The Canadian Council of Churches
- Anglican Church of Canada
- Apostolic Catholic Church (ACC) Canada
- Archdiocese of Canada of the Orthodox Church in America
- Armenian Holy Apostolic Church, Canadian Diocese
- Canadian Association for Baptist Freedoms
- Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
- Canadian Baptists of Western Canada
- Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Canadian Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
- Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Canada
- Christian Reformed Church in North America – Canada
- The Coptic Orthodox Church of Canada
- Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church of Canada
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
- Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church (Northeast American Diocese)
- The Mar Thoma Syrian Church
- Mennonite Church Canada
- The Presbyterian Church in Canada
- Regional Synod of Canada – Reformed Church in America
- The Salvation Army
- Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
- The United Church of Canada
Associate Membership applies to churches whose membership is less than the minimum requirement, or those wishing an interim association with the Council. Associate membership is intended to provide the opportunity for a non-member church to enter into a working relationship with the Council with a view to deepening and furthering the ecumenical movement in Canada.
Our affiliates are organizations, boards, or agencies that have been recognized by the Governing Board as being maintained for distinctly Christian purposes. Affiliates are invited to participate in the work of the commissions or committees of the Council. Affiliates are invited to attend Governing Board meetings and participate in the work of the commissions and committees of the Council.
Observer churches are not members of the Council but are recognized as being in agreement with the Basis of the Constitution. They are invited to participate in the work of the Council. In 2020, the Council had 8 observer churches.